Monday, August 9, 2010

Subdued Stringband Jamboree ~ Year 10

The blackberries are ripening and it is soon to be Subdued Stringband Jamboree time again.  Fri-Sat, August 13th and 14th.  I wait all year for this local festival.  I love it.  It is year 10 this year and the line up is stellar, as par.  I've only been to the last 6 jams but it is such a thing with me now that if I could not go, well, I'd have to kill myself. There are about 15 other sacrifices before that one to make, so I think my life is relatively safe but you get my drift.  Still, if you live around here you are crazy not to go.  That's just all there is to it.  It's 7 miles east of town, its inexpensive, its fun and its family oriented...did I mention it was FUN?   These are some of the nicest musicians and music lovers to walk the planet and they converge here annually like it's a calling.  The music they play goes all day.  It also goes all night as people visit and jam at campfires situated across the log show grounds.  You can come for a day to play or stay and revel in the merriment by camping.  I camp and though I try and stay up all night, I end up falling asleep to live music and the soft sounds of people laughing and enjoying themselves.  Then I begin snoring and everyone moves 50 feet from my tent so they can hear themselves sing.

jamboree 2009
If you don't live around here then, well...I know you all live in swell places but this weekend, I feel sorry for you... this weekend you are missing the most joyful noise in the greatest place on earth.  You can ameliorate your loss by looking at this slide-show of last year's fun.  If you are still irreparably unrequited and if you would like to look at prior years from THAT there are pictures of those years on the Flickr site too.  (I thinking here that I have turned into one of those people I used to make fun of who would drag their friends through boring slide shows of their trip to Italy!) and if you still cannot brave the future without partaking of this musical extravaganza, make it a point to join me next year.  It is the second weekend in August.  I will take your picture.

Geezerville picture credit:  Nancy La Hatt.

3 comments:

marciamayo said...

wow, Cile, it does look wonderful. I'm glad you are going to make it so you don't have to kill yourself.
How close are you to Portland? If close, we need to try to get together when I'm out there next summer.

Cile said...

Definitely, Marcia, we will have coffee or something! I blow through PDX a couple times a year. I have family and friends there. Thanks for the comment - The Jam will be a good time; always is.

K. said...

I bet this was fun! We were swamped last weekend, but maybe next year.